The National Library of Scotland now has many old documents scanned, on-line and searchable. Most of the Slater’s (later Pigot’s & co) post office directories are now freely available. Visitors can either view the books online or download them as pdf files. Findlay Piries research notes include Pigot’s 1825-26 pp267-268, Pigot’s 1837 pp291-292, Worral’s 1877 pp540-541, and Slater’s 1911 residents. For details click HERE
PORTSOY is a seaport in the parish of Fordyce, with a station on the Great North of Scotland Railway, 178 miles north of Edinburgh, 62 east-by-north of Inverness, 18 east-north-east of Fochabers and 8 west by north of Banff ; it is situated on a tongue of land projecting into the North Sea, at the head of one of those little bays by which this part of the coast is in many places indented.
It was erected into a burgh of barony about the 16th. century by the Lord of the Boyne, whose descendants embracing the fortunes of the Pretender in 1715 forfeited their lands to the Crown, and these were subsequently granted to James 4th, Earl of Findlater and 1st Earl of Seafield ; and are still in the possession of the Ogilvie-Grant family, Earls of Seafield.
The town is small and irregularly built, but, as a port, is in a thriving condition, and is lighted from works the property of the Town Council. The point of land on which it stands forms a safe harbour, sufficiently deep for vessels of upwards of 100 tons burthen. The town adopted the General Police and Improvements Act on October 8th. 1889, the number of commissioners being nine, and is in the Banff small debt court district.
There is an Established Church, erected in 1816, at a cost of £2000, and restored in 1881, and two United Free Churches, one built in 1844 at an expense of £1800 and rebuilt in 1871, and another built in 1866 built at a cost of £830 ; the Episcopal Church of St. John the Baptist erected in 1840 at a cost of £2480 will seat 125 persons ; the Roman Catholic Church was erected in 1828. The Campbell Hospital, the gift of James Campbell, Esq. D.L., LL.D., J.P. of Old Cullen opened July 30th. 1904, is a building of stone, situated on an eminence overlooking the sea and comprises two wards ; it is intended for the benefit of the lower district of the county of Banff and the burghs of Macduff, Banff, Portsoy, Cullen and Buckie. There is a Christian Institute with a library of about 1,500 volumes.
The port, besides the proceeds of the herring fishery, which has been greatly extended of late years, has a trade in the exportation of meal and importation of coal. Fishcuring and distilling are prominent industries. The stone raised from the quarries of this district, and called “Portsoy Marble” is a beautiful mixture of red, green and white, and is wrought into tea cups , vases and small ornaments ; chimney pieces are also made from it. Some singular specimens of schist and a species of asbestos of a greenish hue are met with in this neighbourhood ; but the most remarkable mineral production is a granite of a buff or flesh colour, which is not found elsewhere except in Arabia. The district also abounds with excellent limestone.
The Countess Dowager of Seafield, of Cullen House, Cullen, and of Castle Grant, Morayshire, is the principal landowner. The extensive ruins of the old castles of Boyne and Findlater, lying to the east and west of Portsoy, possess great attractions for the antiquary and pleasure seeker. A weekly newspaper “The Banffshire Reporter” is published here every Wednesday. Rateable value, burghal (Portsoy) £5,577 ; population in 1901, 1,739 in Portsoy.
OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c
T & MO Office, the Square, Portsoy.
Letters should have Banffshire added to them. ; James Clark, Postmaster.
Deliveries, 7.10 & 10.25 am & 6.25pm
Despatches, 7.20, 9.30 & 10.30am : 3.10 and 7.50 pm. No Sunday post.
Provost – Peter Sutherland
Bailies – Wm. Gray & James McDonald
Councillors – John Rae, Alexander Murray, James Kemp, Charles Watt, William Ross & Peter Thomson
Town Clerk & Collector of Burgh Rates James Young, Seafield Street
Treasurer – Alexander Campbell, Union Bank of Scotland.
Procurator Fiscal – William Ingram, 41 Seafield Street.
Medical Officer of Health – John Charles Galloway, MA, MD, Ch.B, DPH, Aber. Castle Street Banff.
FORDYCE & PORTSOY PARISH COUNCIL.
Parish Council of 15 Members.
Chairman – Jas Campbell LL.D, D.L. J.P.
Clerk – Robert Thow, Seafield Street.
Auditor – George Shearer., Banff
Medical Officer – James Reid, MB, CM, Aberd., Seafield Terrace
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriges & Inspector of Poor – Robert Thow, Seafield Street
Collector of Parish Rates – George Allison Scrimgeour, South High Street.
CAMPBELL JOINT HOSPITAL BOARD
Meets at Portsoy
Chairman – James Campbell LL.D., Old Cullen, Cullen.
Clerk & Treasurer – James Grant, Solicitor, Castle St., Banff.
Banffshire Battery 1st. Highland Brigade, Royal Field Artillery – Lieut. D.O. Stevenson, in command.
Campbell Hospital for Infectious Diseases – James Grant, Banff, sec & treasurer.
Cemetery – John A. Colville, sec. ; James Kemp, caretaker.
Christian Institute, Church St – George Allison Scrimgeour.
Coastguard Station – Joseph T. Mogford, Chief Officer.
Excise Office, Hill St – Benjamin Tighe, supervisor.
Gas Works, Town Council, Proprietors, Harbour Company – James Young, sec., Henry Smith, harbourmaster & collector of dues.
Police Station – Alexander Gordon Milne, constable in charge.
Stamp Office, South High Street, John A. Colville, sub-distributor of stamps.
PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Established Church – Rev.A.M. Gibson
Episcopal Church (St. John the Baptist) – Rev. John Southby.
United Free Churches :-
West – Rev. Cecil J. Davidson
East – Rev. William Simmers MA
Roman Catholic, The Annunciation - Rev. James Slorach.
Portsoy – Built in 1877, at a cost of £2,848 & enlarged in 1887. William Mclean M.A. Headmaster
“The Banffshire Reporter” Marcus Calder, Publisher, Church Street. Published on Wednesday
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY.
On the great North of Scotland Line.
Portsoy – John Martin, Stationmaster Glassaugh – Robert Pratt, Stationmaster.
Tillynaught Junction – James Dawson, Stationmaster.
Anderson James K. South High St
Andrew Miss, Mayfield, Durn Rd
Baillie Alexander, JP Burnfoot
Benzie Miss, 22 Seafield St
Blacklaw John, 20 Durn Rd
Burgess Jabez, JP Seafield St
Campbell Alexander, Seafield St
Chinn Major John H., Candacraig
Clark James JP The Square
Colville John A., Millb urn
Craik Mrs., Tanglin, Durn Rd
Davidson Rev. Cecil (UF) The Manse
Davie Mrs, Glenboyne, Banff Road
Ewing William, Springbank, Durn Rd
Falconer Mrs, 21 Hill Street
Farquharson Mrs, Shillinghill Street
Fortune, Alan, The Brae
Gibson Rev Andrew, Manse, Durn Rd
Gillian Adam Lind JP Mount Pleasant
Harter Walter, Roseacre
Hendry Charles, Chapel House
Ingram William,Church St
Joiner, Mrs, 11 Hill St
McConnachie John, South High St
McConnachie Joseph, 12 Durn Rd
McCulloch John, Aird Street
McDonald Alexander, 22a Durn Rd
McLean William MA, Schoolhendry St
McRobie George, Burnside St
Mathieson Edward, Glenglassaugh
Milne Mrs, Seafield St
Milne William, Church St
Osborne Henry, 15 Hill St
Paterson William, 48 Chapel St
Paterson William MB Sunnybank
Quinn Mrs, BurnsideVilla
Reid James MB CM Seafield Terrace
Robertson Alex M, Dunalistair
Scrimgeour George A, 22 Durn Rd
Simmers Rev Wm MA East UF Manse
Slorach Rev James (RC) Banff Road
Smith Mrs, Park House, Durn Road
Southby Rev John, Episcopal Church
The Rectory, South High St
Stewart Alexander,Aird St
Sutherland John E. MP JP Durn House & National Liberal Club London.
Sutherland Peter JP, Brookfield
Tighe Benjamin, Hill St
Wighton Miss, 17 Durn Rd
Wilson Charles, 5 Hill St
Young James, Seafield St
Early closing day, Wednesday
Adamson, Wm P., chemist, South High St
Anderson James K., agent for the North of Scotland & Town & Country Bank and insurance agent, South High St
Anderson Miss J, shopkpr, Church St
Badenoch, James, auctioneer, Cullen St
Banffshire Battery,1st. Highland Brigade,Royal Field Artillery, Territorial Force
Lieut. D.O. Stevenson in command.
Banffshire Reporter, Marcus Calder Publisher; published Wednesdays, Church St
Black Miss Eliz, Draper, The Square
Blacklaws John, land steward to the Countess Dowager of Seafield, Durn Rd
Burgess Alexander, baker, The Square
Calder, George, printer & stationer, South High St
Calder Marcus, Printer & publisher “Banffshire Reporter”, Church St
Campbell Hospital – James Grant, sec & treasurer
Campbell Alexander, agent for the Union Bank of Scotland & insurance agent & burgh treasurer, Seafield St
Campbell Eliz (Mrs), dressmaker, Aird St
Cemetery – John A Colville, sec; James Kemp, caretaker
Christian Institute – George A Scrimgeour, sec., Church St
Clark James, druggist & postmaster, The Square
Cochrane John, plumber, 58 Seafield St
Cockburn Miss Barbara, grcr, 37 S. High St
Colville,John A, solicitor,notary and factor for County of Banff Bursary Fund, insurance agent & sec. to cemetery, South High St
Cruickshank James, spirit dealer, Station Hotel, Seafield St
Currie Charles,tailor, Culbert St
Downie George, fishcurer
Duguid, Alex. saddler, Seafield St
Duncan John, draper, Seafield St
Ewing George, miller, Durn mill
Ewing William,.miller (water & steam)
Gas Works (Town Council, proprietors)
Geddes, George, grocer, Culbert St
Geddes Mrs. Margt, grocer, The Square
Gillan Adam L, lessee of salmon fishing & insurance agent
Grant John, plumber, Culbert St
Grant Mrs. Margt, shopkpr, Low St
Grant Mrs Margery, Commercial Hotel & posting house, Seafield St
Gray Wm K. stone mason, Muiryhillock
Guthrie Wm, clothier & draper, Seafield St
Hay W.J. & J, butchers, South High St
Hay George, grocer, Church St
Highland Distilleries Co Ltd., Glenglassaugh. Head Office – Glasgow
Ingram, James, blacksmith, Roseacre St
Ingram Wm. solicitor (& notary & burgh procurator fiscal) clerk to the school board & insurance agent, 41 Seafield St
Irving James & Son, tailors, Seafield St
Kelbie David, hawker, Schoolhendry St
Kemp James, grocer, Schoolhendry St
Leys Alex, watch & clock mkr, Square
Lovie David, baker, Seafield St
McBain James, tailor, Church St
McBain Richard, baker, Low St
McConnachie Rbt & Co grocers, S. High St
McCulloch John, draper, Seafield St
McDonald Bros., agricultural engineers
McDonald Bros, mineral water mfts, Hill St
McDonald Alex boot & shoe mfs, Seafield St
McDonald James M., jeweller, Seafield St
McDonald Wm, carpenter, Church St
McDonald Wm, Jnr, painter, Church St
McGregor Frank, cabinet mkr, Seafield St
McKessack James,auctioneer, Cullen St
McRobie George G, grocer, Low St
McWilliam Peter, grocer, North High St
Mair James, butcher, Burnside St
Mair, Miss Mary, shopkpr, Schoolhendry
Mason James, painter, South High St
Matthew Mrs. Mary, Temperance Hotel, North High St
Miller, Kenneth F. innkeeper, Shore Inn
Milne, Robert, grocer, Seafield St
Milton, Mrs Christine, baker, Seafield St
Milton William, slater, Aird St
Murray, William & Son, hide & tallow factors (depot)
Murray James, hairdresser, South High St
Nicol George S.B., baker, Aird St
Nicol James, rope & twine mkr. Backgreen
North of Scotland & Town & County Bank Ltd. (James K. Anderson, agent) South High St ; draw on Union of London & Smith’s Bank & Barclay & Co Ltd., London EC
Paterson William, MB Ch.B Edin. surgeon,& Admiralty surgeon & agent, Sunnybank
Peterkin, John, baker, Seafield St
Portsoy Bowling & Tennis Club (Charles Weir, sec.)
Portsoy & District Trading Association(George A. Scrimgeour sec & law agent) South High St.
Portsoy Horticultural Society (George Calder, sec)
Rae John, plasterer, Durn Rd
Reid James, Shopkpr, 39 S High St
Reid James, MB CM Aberd. surgeon & Medical Officer to Parish Council, Seafield Terrace
Reid Mrs John, Temperance Hotel, 25 Seafield Street
Rhind William, saddler, Church St
Ross Emery, cycle agent, Square
Ross William, draper, 23 Seafield St
Russell John & Son, boot & shoe makers, Seafield St
Sandison Mrs Wm., Shopkpr, N. High St
Scrimgeour George A., solicitor & collector of parish rates & sec & law agent to Portsoy & District Trading Association, South High St
Slater Mrs Maggie, shopkpr, 22 Culbert St
Smith Alexander, shipmaster, Cadzow Hse
Smith Henry, harbourmaster & collector of dues
Smith Henry, shipowner, Cullen Rd
Smith Mrs Mgt., grocr, Schoolhendry St
Stamp Office, (John A Colville, sub-distributor of stamps) S. High St
Strathdee William, slater, Culbert St
Sutherland P & J, fishcurers, coopers, & rope & net dealers, Shore ; Peterhead ; Aberdeen; Lerwick ; Uyeasound, & Stornoway.
Taylor, George, jnr., dairyman, Church St
Thomson Peter, grocer, South High St
Thow Robert,herring net buoy maker Low St
Thow Robert, registrar of births, deaths & marriages & inspector of poor & clerk to the Parish Council, Seafield St.
Tighe Benjamin, supervisor of Inland Revenue, Hill St
Union Bank of Scotland Ltd (Alexander Campbell, agent ; Donald Munro, accountant) Seafield St : draw on London Office, 62 Cornhill EC & Bank of England EC London.
Walsh James, excise officer, Glenglassaugh
Watson Miss Annabelle, dressmaker, Aird St
Watson James, blacksmith, Barbank
Whitecross, Alex, boot & shoe mkr, Church St.
Wiseman William, tailor & clothier, South High St.
Wood George, fishcurer, Backgreen
Wood James, shipowner, Seatown
Wordie & Co., carting contractor.
Wm. Brockie agent. Railway Stn
Wright Brothers, millwrights, engineers & agricultural implement makers; speciality – Thrasing Machines – Boyne Mills
Young Men’s Christian Association (Geo A. Scrimgeour, sec.) Institute St
Young James, solicitor, town clerk & sec & treasurer to the Portsoy Harbour Co. collector of burgh rates & clerk to the Burgh Local pension Committee & insurance agent, Seafield St.
FORDYCE is a village of great antiquity, about 8 miles west of Banff, on the Great North of Scotland Railway; station at Portsoy, 2½ miles from Fordyce, and Glassaugh about one mile. There are Established and United Free churches, the first named built in 1806 and the latter in 1843.
Large Board schools were erected in 1881-82, at an expense of £1,839, at which there are a number of bursaries administered by the Governors of the County of Banff Bursary Fund, and tenable by either boys or girls. At what was formerly the old parochial school the late Sir James Clark bart. physician in ordinary to Her Late Majesty Queen Victoria, and the late John Forbes esq., physician extraordinary to H.R.H. the Prince Consort, received an early part of their education.
A large castellated building, standing on the east side of the Square, and bearing the date of 1592 originally belonged to the Durn family, but is now the property of the Grant family, Earls of Seafield.
Acreage of the parish , 17,198 ; rateable value £21,613; population of 1901,3,941 of which Portsoy contained 1,739. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1901 was 1,850.
MO Office, Fordyce – William Thompson, Postmaster. letters received through Portsoy which is the nearest telegraph office.
Deliveries – 8.20am & 7.30pm
Despatches – 8.20am, 12.30pm & 5.15pm
Registrar Births etc – William Thompson
PLACES OF WORSHIP
Established Church – Rev. John C. McGregor
Untd Free Church – Rev. James Robertson
Clerk – Wm Ingram, Seafield St
Fordyce – Geo A. Simpson, Headmaster
Bogmuchals – Miss Craik, Mistress
Brodiesord – John A. King
SANDEND is a small fishing village in the parish of Fordyce, situated about 3 miles west of Portsoy. The nearest station is at Glassaugh about a mile distant on the Great North of Scotland line.
School :- Sandend – Robert C. Adams, master
MacGregor Rev. John C., MA (Established) Manse
Robertson Rev. James, MA (United Free) Manse
Boyd John, blacksmith, Gardenhead
Cameron Thomas, tailor & outfitter
Chalmers Theodore, grocer
Cumming William B, blacksmith
Gordon John carpenter & wright, Burnside
Hay Thomas, carpenter
Horne George, tailor
Kindness John, tailor
Robertson Alexander, grocer
Robertson Alexander, hotel keeper
Skinner Joseph, boot maker
Smith Benjamin, fishcurer, Sandend
Thompson William, postmaster, registrar of births, deaths & marriages & grocer
Thomson George, blacksmith, Burnside
Whyte Mrs Jane, grocer
Williamson Mrs Helen, grocer, Glassaugh
Addison William, Auchip
Addison William, Summertown
Allan John, Burnside
Badenoch James, Nicholson’s Park
Bennet Alexander & John, Reidstack
Bremner John, Winterton
Buie James, Damheads
Buie Lewis, Longmuir
Christie George, Brae
Christie Mrs Mary, Hill of Chattie
Clark James, Little Dytach
Clark Peter, Gardenhead
Clark William, Birkenbog
Cowie John, Corry
Cruickshank James, Hillside
Cumming James, Newbigging
Davidson Alexander, Priest’s Croft
Davidson George, Drochedlie
Dawson John & George, Auchanachie
Donald George G., Upper Begburn
Donaldson Alexander, Westside
Duncan Alexander, Badentoul
Duncan Andrew, Badentoul
Duncan Henry, Barnyards of Badentoul
Duncan James, Clashendamer
Duncan John, Muirake
Eddes John, Newton
Fiddes Alexander (reps. of) Stripeside
Findlater Alexander, Brodiesord
Forbes George, Dykehead
Forbes James, Hallyards
Forbes James Jnr, Hallyhill
Forbes John, Barnyards of Findlater
Forbes William, JP, Cowhythe
Forbes William, Longside
Fortune John, Smiddyboyne
Fortune John, Broom & Sandend
Garden Alexander T., JP, Brankanenthum
Garden William T & James, Butterytack
Geddes Alexander, Upper Breach
Geddes George, Standingranhill
Gray William K., Mainhillock
Gunn Alexander, Kilnhillock
Harper Alexander, Breach
Harper James, Porterstown
Harper James, Brackenhills
Harper James, Leys
Hendry John, Newpark
Hendry William, Cairnton
Hepburn George, Wellheads
Horne Alexander, Bogierow
Imlach George, Wylieholes
Jack John, Clashendamer
Keir James, South Canterbury
Lauder John, Knowiemoor
Lowe George & James, Highfield
McConnachie Andrew, Baley
McKay John, Mill of Tillynaught
Maclennan James, Reidhaven
Mclennan Wm, Mains & Upper Bogton
McPherson James, Auchmillie
McWilliam John & Jas, Mill of Towie
McWilliam John, Beechbank
Main David, North Canterbury
Milne George, Dytach
Milne Peter, Newmills of Boyne
Mitchell George, Midtown of Badenspink
Mitchell James, Rothiemackenzie
Mitchell Joseph, Linkbraeheads
Munro John, Berryleys
Murray James, Dykehead
Murray James, Ordenhoves
Murray James, Seafield & Logie
Murray William H.A. Baronsmill
Ogilvie Alexander M., Tillynaught
Raeburn Andrew & George, Donniemaud
Steinson Alexandeer (reps. of), Toux
Stevenson Alex O. & D.O., Mains of Durn
Stevenson George, Newmills of Boyne
Stewart James, Hillend
Symon James & John, Slackdale
Taylor William, Lower Begburn
Thomson George, Kindrought
Webster Joseph (reps. of ) Knockdurn
Weir Alexander, Mains of Glassaugh
Wilson George S., Limestones.
Wilson James, Burns
Wilson William, Tochieneal
Wiseman John & William, Broomhills
Wiseman James, Mains of Badenyouchers
Young James & Alexander H., Arnbath